Thursday, May 24, 2012

Becoming pen pals with the Unabomber (and other notorious serial killers)

Well kind of. I was laying in my bed last night, basking in the glory that is air conditioning. I wasn't tired because I had overslept the night before so I began thinking about new movie ideas (my weirdest ideas come from laying in bed with just me and my thoughts. A dangerous combination). Earlier in the day I read that Ted Kaczynski aka "The Unabomber", updated his information in Harvard's Alumni directory for his 50th class anniversary.


Well life, he just made lemonade. I began thinking more and more about what else Teddy would do in certain situations. I don't know if I was cold or inhaling dirt from not cleaning the AC but the first thing that came to mind was "If Ted Kaczynski could make a new flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, what would it be?" Vanilla ice cream with chocolate malt bombs with a dash of nuts? I had no idea -- neither did Amelia. Then it hit me...why not ask the Unabomber himself? In fact, what else would he have to say about other situations. While I'm at it, why not ask Charles Manson or Scott Peterson? What other serial killers are out there? So this leads me to my independent research project for the summer: Mail notorious criminals questions on various topics and see how they respond. I asked Amelia and she said this could be interesting (this is a good sign because she hardly approves of anything I do. If I want a 12 year old to smoke a cigar for my movie then God damn it I'll get what I want!...love youuuuuu) Since sleep wasn't going to happen anyway, I stayed up until 5am making a list of convicted murders and their mailing addresses. Here's who I got:

Ted Kaczynski - He seems like a smart guy so hopefully he'll have something interesting to say.
Charles Manson - Psycho in its purest form but hopefully he won't send me random gibberish like he does everyone else.
OJ Simpson - Right now he's serving 33 years for armed robbery and totally for not murdering his ex-wife...allegedly
Phil Spector - Music Producer who has worked with everyone from the Beatles to the Ramones before shooting a woman and growing a meth addicts afro.
Mark David Chapman - Shot John Lennon because he read Catcher in the Rye. Don't remember any chapters commanding people to kill Lennon, then again I read the spark notes.
Scott Peterson - This man holds a special place in Amelia and mines relationship because when we first met, we played charades. She had to act out Scott Peterson and I immediately guessed him. It's been magic ever since...wow we're fucked up.
David Berkowitz - "Son of Sam". His dog told him to kill people. He gets my vote.
Dennis Lynn Rader - Strangled his victims and gets really mad when people come home late.
Richard Ramirez - "The Night Stalker" He draws pentagrams on his hands and if I'm er....lucky he'll draw one for me.
Gary Lynn Ridgway - "The Green River Killer" Killed 48 people and possibly more so yeah...
Sirhan Sirhan - Assassinated Robert F. Kennedy. At least his name is easy to remember.
John Hinkley Jr - Attempted to assassinate Ronald Reagan. A question I was thinking of asking was "If you could spend one day with any person who would it be?", but I feel I don't need to ask him...
Lee Boyd Malvo - One of the "DC snipers". The youngest of the bunch but just as disturbed.

Non-Serial Killers but people who would be interesting to ask questions:
Bernie Madoff - Started a ponzi scheme that stole about $65 billion, so he better respond because he can afford a damn stamp.
Wesley Snipes - Bet you didn't know he was in jail.
Fred and/or Shirley Phelps - Leaders of the Westboro Baptist Church. They aren't in jail but out of this whole list, I hate them the most.
Rob Blagojevich - Former Illinois governor charged with corruption. Hopefully his hair won't eat my letter.

I'm going to get a P.O Box because giving the Unabomber my address doesn't seem wise. I'm still working on making a list of questions and will post them as soon as I make a final list, but I am open to suggestions! Just make them creative but nothing that would be confiscated by the prison i.e "Given the chance who would you kill?" (they screen all mail before giving them to prisoners) So why am I doing this? I'm curious about the thought processes of the deranged individuals and their opinions on certain matters (and admit it, you want to know what fucked up things Charles Manson would put on his ice cream). Hopefully curiosity won't kill the cat. Literally.

1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant! Jim you are hilarious!
    The first question that came to my head - boxers or briefs?

    ReplyDelete